Quake Champions is an upcoming free-to-play multiplayer-focused sci-fi fantasy first-person shooter in development by id (in conjunction with Saber), and will be published by Bethesda for the PC. The game was pre-released in pay-to-play Steam Early Access form since August 22, 2017 (and was made free-to-play on August 10, 2018).
An arena-based spin-off of the Quake series, Quake Champions combines the classic arena-style gameplay of Quake III Arena with the dark fantasy setting of the original Quake. In addition to numerous gameplay changes (such as the starter weapon and base health/armor systems), each of the game's playable characters are unique and boast their own unique attributes and special abilities. Similar to Quake III Arena, the game features characters from other id games, including B.J. Blazkowicz from Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and Doom Slayer from the 2016 remake of Doom.
The game received numerous changes since its original pre-release, including a brand new soundtrack (by Andrew Hulshult), new content (including maps, characters, and game modes), and a new rewards system (replacing the "backpack" system with linear Champion-specific progression and an optional paid "battle pass").
The game includes a total of 11 usable weapons, all of which have customizable appearances (with unlockable weapon shaders and skins, many of which are based on weapons from earlier id games).
In the base game, players have the option to choose from one of three starting weapons (Machinegun, Shotgun, and Nailgun) to spawn with.
- Gauntlet (Default Key: "1") - Base melee weapon given to all players. Uses a wrist-mounted sawblade to chop at enemies while the Fire button is held down.
- Machinegun (Default Key: "2") - Basic hitscan weapon. One of the three selectable starting weapons, players can find an upgraded version (the Heavy Machinegun) as a pickup (either replacing the Machinegun or adding it to the inventory).
- Shotgun (Default Key: "3") - Pump-action hitscan shotgun for close-to-mid range combat. One of the three selectable starting weapons, players can find an upgraded version (the Super Shotgun) as a pickup (either replacing the Shotgun or adding it to the inventory).
- Nailgun (Default Key: "4") - Basic projectile weapon. While the weapon itself is slower to fire than the Machinegun and requires leading onto targets, each projectile explodes on impact (dealing more damage in a very short radius). One of the three selectable starting weapons, players can find an upgraded version (the Super Nailgun) as a pickup (either replacing the Nailgun or adding it to the inventory). Can be used, in a limited fashion, to propel the player upwards (sacrificing health for a large jump).
- Tri-Bolt (Default Key: "5") - Triple-barreled burst-fire micro-grenade launcher. Each projectile is a timed explosive (with a small blast radius) that can explode on impact with another player and can stick onto surfaces. Can be used, in a limited fashion, to propel the player upwards (sacrificing health for a large jump).
- Rocket Launcher (Default Key: "6", "Q") - Fires an accurate missile that deals great explosive damage at direct hits (with bonus damage to anyone else near its blast radius). Can be used to propel the player upwards (sacrificing health for a large jump).
- Lightning Gun (Default Key: "7", "E") - Emits an accurate medium-ranged stream of lightning at a fast constant rate, which constantly damage all enemies it touches.
- Railgun (Default Key: "8", "R") - Fires a precise long-ranged slug. While each shot is hitscan and highly damaging, all shots leave a highly-visible trail and require a long cooldown between them.
- Anarki - Can freely change directions in mid-air. Using his active ability, he can fully restore his health (while boosting his maximum health until the next respawn).
- Athena - Can launch herself off of the tops of stairs and ramps. Using her active ability, she can launch her grappling hook to quickly reach higher places (and can swing off it for improved maneuverability).
- B.J. Blazkowicz - Automatically restores part of his health (to the nearest 25%) once he takes damage (with a cooldown timer in-between). Using his active ability, he can dual-wield his current weapon to temporarily boost his rate-of-fire.
- Clutch - Can double-tap to dodge in that direction, and can gain increased speed when moving in a straight line. Has two active abilities: a large front-facing temporary barrier shield (which is disabled when he shoots) and and a temporary mining drill (which serves as an emergency infinite-ammo lightning gun).
- Death Knight - Can catch opponents on fire with his flaming gauntlet and is resistant to fire and lava. Using his active ability, he swings his sword to summon a spread-fire of three fireballs (each leaving a trail of fire that engulfs enemies in flames).
- Doom Slayer - Can jump in mid-air and is silent. Using his active ability, he temporarily becomes berserk and gains increased speed (at the cost of being restricted to his fists, which can automatically gib opponents).
- Eisen - Reduces the cooldown of his ability when collecting both light armor and heavy armor pickups. Using his active ability, he can deploy an automated sentry turret that fires hyperblaster bolts.
- Galena - Reduces the cooldown of her ability when collecting health spheres. Using her active ability, she can deploy a "Unholy Totem" spell that either heals the first ally that enters it or heavily damages the first enemy that enters it.
- Keel - Reduces the cooldown of his ability when collecting ammo boxes. Using his active ability, he activates his shoulder-mounted grenade launchers for a grenade swarm.
- Nyx - Can propel herself off of walls. Using her active ability, she can perform a temporary cross-dimensonal "phase shift" that allows her to move through objects with both invisibility and invincibility. Although she cannot fire her weapons while in this state, she can telefrag enemies when phasing back.
- Ranger - Has self-inflicted weapon damage resistance (allowing him to rocket jump with less penalty). Using his active ability, he can throw a "Dire Orb" spell as a personal teleporter (which allows him to telefrag opponents), which can also heavily damage enemies it passes through and can explode as a mine if he does not teleport after a certain amount of time.
- Scalebearer - Can damage enemies by charge through them at high movement speeds. Using his active ability, he can perform an automatic "bullrush" that delivers massive damage with higher damage resistance and less maneuverability.
- Slash - Can perform a sliding maneuver by crouching as she lands on the ground. Using her active ability, she can temporarily leave a trail of plasma behind her (which damage any enemy that touches it) and then detonate that trail (dealing additional damage to those caught in the blast).
- Sorlag - Can freely change directions in mid-air (although to a lesser effect than Anarki). Using her active ability, she deals a temporary area-of-effect acid spit that deals damage over time (with a blinding effect if hit directly). She is also resistant to enemy acid attacks.
- Strogg - Can heal himself from the corpses of enemies. Using his active ability, he cloaks and assumes full control of his Peeker drone (which can fly, shoot, and perform a kamikaze detonation).
- Visor - Can perform a high-speed strafe-jumping technique. Using his active ability, he can temporarily see enemies through walls.
- Team Deathmatch - Standard team-based deathmatch. Teams earn points by eliminating enemies. No restriction on Champion switching.
- Deathmatch - Standard free-for-all deathmatch. Players earn points by eliminating enemies. No restriction on Champion switching.
- Duel - Round-based one-on-one "last man standing" with a twist: prior to the match, both players choose three Champions for their team. Both players start each round with three "lives" (consisting of their three chosen Champions). Players win rounds by depleting their opponent's lives.
- Capture the Flag - Standard capture the flag mode. Teams spawn symmetrically and earn points by taking the enemy flag and returning to their pedestal (capturing it only if their flag remains at the pedestal). Matches are divided into two halves, with teams switching positions at halftime. No restriction on Champion switching.
- Sacrifice - Round-based objective mode where teams fight to take control of one of two zones (or "Obelisks") by carrying a neutral flag (or "Soul") to it. Once a team controls an Obelisk, the other Obelisk is controlled by the enemy team, and both teams fight to keep the Soul at their Obelisk (which slowly gives them points).
- Slipgate - Round-based asymmetrical objective mode where teams take turns as either attackers or defenders. Players have only one life per round and spawn with all Pickup weapons. Attackers win the round by either standing near the defenders' zone (or "Slipgate") long enough to take control of it (or "close the Slipgate") or by eliminating all defenders. Defenders win the round by either preventing the attackers from controlling them or by eliminating them. As the round progresses, the attackers require more time to close the Slipgate.
- AAArena - Deathmatch. Players spawn as B.J. Blazkowicz with a Lightning Gun and Active Ability ready. Infinite ammo. Weapon spawns disabled.
- Hot Rockets / Hot Rockets TDM - Deathmatch / Team Deathmatch. Players spawn with a Rocket Launcher and unlimited Quad Damage. Infinite ammo. Weapon and power-up spawns disabled.
- Instagib / Team Instagib - Deathmatch / Team Deathmatch. Players spawn with a Railgun. Infinite ammo. All hits with the Railgun and Gauntlet are instant kill. Weapon and power-up spawns disabled.
- Instagib Classic - Deathmatch. Players spawn as Visor with a Railgun. Infinite ammo. All attacks are instant kill. Weapon spawns, power-up spawns, and Champion abilities disabled.
- Lead the Way - Deathmatch. Players spawn as Scalebearer with a Rocket Launcher and Active Ability ready. Infinite ammo. Attacks with Bull Rush are instant kill. Weapon and power-up spawns disabled.
- Mystery Champion / Mystery Champion TDM - Deathmatch / Team Deathmatch. Players spawn as a random Champion (including ones they have not unlocked).
- Mystery Instagib - Deathmatch. Players spawn as a random Champion (including ones they have not unlocked) with a Railgun. Infinite ammo. All hits with the Railgun and Gauntlet are instant kill. Weapon and power-up spawns disabled.
- Mystery Sacrifice - Sacrifice. Players spawn as a random Champion (including ones they have not unlocked).
- Slide and Slash - Deathmatch. Players spawn as Slash with only a Gauntlet and Active Ability ready. All attacks are instant kill. Weapon and power-up spawns disabled.
- Swinger Party - Deathmatch. Players spawn as Athena with a Railgun and Active Ability ready. Infinite ammo. All attacks are instant kill. Weapon and power-up spawns disabled.
- Unholy Trinity / Unholy Trinity TDM - Deathmatch / Team Deathmatch. Players spawn with a Rocket Launcher (which deals no self-damage), Lightning Gun, and a Railgun. Infinite ammo. Weapon spawns and Champion abilities disabled.
- Awoken (TDM/DM/Duel)
- Blood Covenant (TDM/DM/Duel/Sacrifice/Slipgate) - Based on the Quake III Arena map The Camping Grounds.
- Blood Run (TDM/DM/Duel) - Based on the Quake III Arena community map of the same name.
- Burial Chamber (TDM/DM/CTF/Sacrifice/Slipgate)
- Church of Azathoth (TDM/DM/CTF/Sacrifice/Slipgate)
- Citadel (TDM/DM/CTF/Sacrifice/Slipgate) - Based on the Quake Live community map Stonekeep.
- Corrupted Keep (TDM/DM/Duel)
- Lockbox (TDM/DM/CTF/Sacrifice/Slipgate)
- The Longest Yard (TDM/DM) - Based on the Quake III Arena map of the same name.
- The Molten Falls (TDM/DM/Duel)
- Ruins of Sarnath (TDM/DM/Sacrifice/Slipgate)
- Tempest Shrine (TDM/DM/Duel/CTF/Sacrifice/Slipgate)
- Vale of Pnath (TDM/DM/Duel)
|PC Minimum||PC Recommended|