Smite: Battleground of the Gods (known in-game as SMITE) is a historical-fantasy free-to-play third-person multiplayer-focused action RPG developed by Hi-Rez Studios (later by Titan Forge) and released digitally by Hi-Rez Studios for the PC on March 25, 2014.
Building on the multiplayer-focused concept of the MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) sub-genre, Smite is played from a limited behind-the-back perspective, with gameplay similar to traditional third-person action RPGs. Along with a standard "Conquest" mode, the game includes some alternate arena-based modes. The game's playable characters are based on numerous mythological figures from multiple pantheons (including Greek, Norse, and Chinese).
Along with numerous content updates throughout the years, the game was later released for the Xbox One on August 19, 2015, PlayStation 4 on May 31, 2016, Mac on July 7, 2016, and Nintendo Switch on January 24, 2019. Throughout 2019, the game received full cross-platform multiplayer and progression support.
The standard 5 versus 5 game mode. The map consists of three lanes. Each lane has two towers, a phoenix, and has waves of allied minions marching towards the other team’s base. Between the lanes are areas populated with camps of neutral mobs which can be killed by both teams to gain experience, gold, and particular buffs. In this area are two special neutral monsters: the Gold Fury and the Fire Giant. Killing the Gold Fury gives experience and gold for the player’s entire team. Slaying the Fire Giant grants all live members of the player’s team a significant buff to damage, mana regeneration, and health regeneration. The end goal is to defeat the enemy team’s Titan. Player’s can weaken the Titan by engaging it while the enemy team’s phoenixes are dead.
This Titan is fully capable of defending itself and will attack any enemies that enter its room. Its high attack power and health generally require most, if not all of the team to overcome with any efficiency- as lone heroes can be killed by the Titan surprisingly quickly- even at max level.
The dueling mode. Two players fight it out in a single-lane map that generally has the same structure as a lane in the conquest game mode. Victory is achieved by killing the other player’s Titan.
The team deathmatch type mode. Arena takes place in a smaller and more open map without the traditional three lanes of creeps with the only obstructions being a few pillars in the middle of the map and small walls on the edges of the map to distinguish the neutral monsters. Both teams starts off with 500 tickets with the winner being the first team to deplete the other team’s pool of tickets. The enemy team’s tickets can be depleted by killing their minions, escorting your minions to their side of the map, slaying enemy gods, and by destroying the towers outside the enemy’s spawn. Once a team is reduced to 20 tickets normal minions no longer affect the enemy team’s ticket pool.
The all-random all-mid mode. Like the joust map, the assault map consists of one lane, but widened to accommodate a 5 versus 5 match. One difference is that the assault map does not have any neutral monsters for buffs or extra experience and gold. Each player’s god is chosen at random. Items that gain stats from killing enemy gods or minions are disabled in this mode. The only way for the player to return to the item shop is to die; there is no way to teleport back to base. Victory is achieved once the enemy Titan is slain.
A 5 versus 5 game mode that is centred around group team fights and lane pushing. This mode is a middle ground between the Conquest and Arena modes. The map is Egyptian in style and features two lanes defended by towers. The goal of each team is to push down the opponent's defences and defeat the enemy Titan.
The Clash map includes Apophis, a jungle boss exclusive to the Clash game mode that gives a powerful buff when defeated.
Match of the Day
This game mode changes daily and can range from a specific set of playable gods, usually themed or other unconventional conditions such as starting off a regular match of Conquest with 100,000 gold.
The game was initially released with a roster of 50 playable Gods, each split up into five classes: Hunters, Guardians, Mages, Warriors, and Assassins. As of the release of Mulan, this total was increased to 108 Gods.
Range-focused carries and fighters.
- Ah Muzen Cab, God of Bees - Mayan. Uses bees and honey against his opponents. Summons hives that boost his Heath Regen and Attack speed. For his Ultimate he fires a giant Stinger that cripples the target. When the affected target dies or the cripple wears off the Stinger falls off and can be picked up to reduce the cooldown of the skill.
- Anhur, Slayer of Enemies - Egyptian. Proper use of the environment (or the obelisk spawned by his Shifting Sands ability) can allow him to stun enemies with his Impale skill.
- Apollo, God of Music - Greek. At first glance, Apollo's skillset seems to call for closer-ranged combat than you'd expect from a physical carry as flimsy as him. However, the escape and mobility options his Mesmerize and Slide abilities offer cannot be underestimated. His chariot ultimate also allows him to strike almost anywhere he pleases in the late game.
- Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt - Greek. Unlocked from the start. Be it with vine traps, arrow rain, or her Boar- Artemis has many options for harassing and slowing enemies, setting them up for a kill with her high power and fast physical attacks.
- Cernunnos, The Horned God - Celtic. Added on March 14, 2017.
- Chernobog, Lord of Darkness - Slavic. Added on May 15, 2018.
- Chiron, The Great Teacher - Greek. Added on November 17, 2015.
- Cupid, God of Love - Roman. Cupid isn't just capable of putting out decent damage with his heart bombs. He also has a very fast dash maneuver and can spawn healing hearts to support his allies.
- Hachiman, Lord of the Eight Banners - Japanese. Added on September 13, 2017.
- Heimdallr, The Vigilant - Norse. Added on December 11, 2019.
- Hou Yi, Defender of the Earth - Chinese. Added on January 14, 2015.
- Izanami, Matron of the Dead - Japanese. Added on August 30, 2016.
- Jing Wei, The Oathkeeper - Chinese. Added on April 12, 2016.
- Medusa, The Gorgon - Greek. Added on April 1, 2015.
- Neith, Weaver of Fate - Egyptian. Unlocked from the start.
- Rama, Seventh Avatar of Vishnu - Hindu. Added on June 24, 2014.
- Skadi, Goddess of Winter - Norse. Added on March 15, 2016.
- Ullr, The Glorious One - Norse.
- Xbalanque, Hidden Jaguar Sun - Mayan.
Melee-focused tanks and initiators (exceptions being Jormungandr and Sylvanus, who are range-focused).
- Ares, God of War - Greek. Unlocked from the start. Ares is all about getting the enemy into disadvantaged positions with his ultimate, which grabs all nearby enemies with his chains and pulls them in after a brief delay. As such, he's fully capable of leading a charge.
- Artio, The Bear Goddess - Celtic. Added on August 1, 2017.
- Athena, Goddess of Wisdom - Greek. Has a dash ability that takes a second to "wind up" before it can actually be used. Can taunt enemies to make them go towards here and auto-attack her for the entire duration of the taunt. Can also summon immobile spirit warriors for 2 seconds that deal damage upon appearing and disappearing. Ultimate lets her leap to a target friendly ally and does AoE Damage upon landing while also mitigating damage done to the targeted friendly ally.
- Bacchus, God of Wine - Roman. Getting drunk makes Bacchus tougher- so swilling his drink is fully advised. His abilities and ultimate are all about inconveniencing and hampering enemy movement- allowing his allies to finish them off.
- Cabrakan, Destroyer of Mountains - Mayan. Added on August 19, 2014.
- Cerberus, Warden of the Underworld - Greek. Added on January 9, 2018.
- Fafnir, Lord of Glittering Gold - Norse. Added on June 7, 2016.
- Ganesha, God of Success - Hindu. Added on April 25, 2017.
- Geb, God of Earth - Egyptian.
- Jormungandr, The World Serpent - Norse. Added on March 5, 2019.
- Khepri, The Dawn Bringer - Egyptian. Added on August 4, 2015.
- Kumbhakarna, The Sleeping Giant - Hindu. Added on April 16, 2014.
- Kuzenbo, King Kappa - Japanese. Added on February 14, 2017.
- Sylvanus, Keeper of the Wild - Roman. Added on October 1, 2014.
- Sobek, God of the Nile - Egyptian.
- Terra, The Earth Mother - Roman. Added on August 2, 2016.
- Xing Tian, The Relentless - Chinese. Added on September 1, 2015.
- Yemoja, Goddess of Rivers - Yoruba. Added on October 15, 2019.
- Ymir, Father of the Frost Giants - Norse. Unlocked from the start.
Range-focused spellcasters and supports (exceptions being Ao Kuang and Freya, who are melee-focused).
- Agni, God of Fire - Hindu. His Noxious fumes ability can be combined with his other attack abilities to stun enemies. His Fire Rain ultimate can be used up to 3 times in quick succession if allowed to charge up.
- Ah Puch, Horrific God of Decay - Mayan. Added on April 28, 2015.
- Anubis, God of the Dead - Egyptian. Anubis can easily slow enemies- if not stop them in their tracks outright- with his Grasping Hands and Mummify abilities. His Death Gaze ultimate allows him to land critical damage on his own as well.
- Aphrodite, Goddess of Beauty - Greek. Aphrodite's abilities excel at healing whatever ally she bonds herself with and harassing or slowing down enemies. Her ultimate makes herself and soul mate briefly invincible.
- Ao Kuang, Dragon King of the Eastern Seas - Chinese. Added on November 19, 2014. Ao Quang's tornadoes allow him to excel at pushing whatever lane he is in. His Squall and Slither abilities give him some escape potential as well in 1v1s (Slither speeds him up, and a hit with Squall slows the enemy).
- Baron Samedi, God of Life and Death - Voodoo. Added on June 26, 2018.
- Chang'e, Faerie of the Moon - Chinese. Can heal, restore mana to, and temporarily increase protections of nearby allies. Ultimate does cone damage and stuns hit targets. She has a rabbit companion that she can send to buy an item for her from the shop instead of having going back to the fountain. She can only buy one item at a time in this fashion and does not actually get the item until the rabbit returns.
- Chronos, Keeper of Time - Greek. Manipulates time to cause a rift to damge enemy, freeze them in place, or to temporarily increase his movement and attack speed. His Ultimate reverses his own time, restoring his health and mana to whatever values they were at 8 seconds prior to the use of the ultimate. He also travels back to the exact spot he was at that same timeframe, retracing his path back to it in a metal ball form. It takes a little bit to actually start the process so it is possible to die while in the process of starting it.
- Discordia, Goddess of Strife - Roman. Added on November 6, 2017.
- Freya, Queen of the Valkyries - Norse. Freya relies on a combination of magical power and attack speed to get the most mileage out of her abilities. She can buff her melee attacks with magic damage and range.
- Hades, King of the Underworld - Greek. Relying on his toughness, silencing abilities, and dash to get into a good position- Hades is all about getting into the center of the enemy team and immobilizing them with his ultimate.
- He Bo, God of the Yellow River - Chinese. He Bo has extensive harassment potential with his abilities, along with decent mobility from his Flood Waters and Crushing Wave.
- Hel, Goddess of the Underworld - Norse. Hel's ultimate allows her to switch between her light form and dark form. Her light form focuses on healing allies and support, while her dark form changes her abilities to focus on damage instead.
- Hera, Queen of the Gods - Greek. Added on October 15, 2018.
- Isis, Goddess of Magic - Egyptian.
- Kukulkan, Serpent of the Nine Winds - Mayan. Unlocked from the start.
- Merlin, The Master Wizard - Arthurian. Added on February 11, 2019.
- The Morrigan, Phantom Queen - Celtic. Added on January 10, 2017.
- Nox, Goddess of Night - Roman. Added on October 29, 2014.
- Nu Wa, Guardian of Heaven - Chinese.
- Olorun, Ruler of the Heavens - Yoruba. Added on June 25, 2019.
- Persephone, Queen of the Underworld - Greek. Added on August 20, 2019.
- Poseidon, God of the Oceans - Greek.
- Ra, Sun God - Egyptian. Unlocked from the start.
- Raijin, Master of Thunder - Japanese. Added on February 16, 2016.
- Scylla, Horror of the Deep - Greek.
- Sol, Goddess of the Sun - Norse. Added on October 6, 2015.
- Thoth, Arbiter of the Damned - Egyptian. Added on November 8, 2016.
- Vulcan, Smith of the Gods - Roman.
- Zeus, God of the Sky - Greek.
- Zhong Kui, The Demon Queller - Chinese. By using his first 2 skills together Zhong places an Exorcism Charm on targets and then exorcizes demons from them. Exorcized demons from targets affect by the Charm get put into his Demon Bag. He gains increased protections for each demon in his back, stacking up to 20. His ultimate releases the demons from his bag, each one flying to and dealing damage to nearby enemies
- Achilles, Hero of the Trojan War - Greek. Added on February 27, 2018.
- Amaterasu, The Shining Light - Japanese. Added on January 12, 2016.
- Bellona, Goddess of War - Roman. Added on February 25, 2015. Unlocked from the start.
- Chaac, God of Rain - Mayan.
- Cu Chulainn, The Hound of Ulster - Celtic. Added on June 20, 2017.
- Erlang Shen, The Illustrious Sage - Chinese. Added on July 6, 2016.
- Guan Yu, Saint of War - Chinese. Unlocked from the start. Guan Yu can support his allies with area-of-effect heals. He also excels at slowing and stunning enemies with his Warrior's Will dash and Tactician's Advantage ultimate. These abilities also give him a surprising amount of mobility.
- Hercules, Champion of Rome - Roman. Hercules' passive and Mitigate Wounds abilities encourage him to take damage while being to able to keep going at higher and higher strength. His offensive abilities are capable of knocking his enemies all over the place.
- Horus, The Rightful Heir - Egyptian. Added on April 30, 2019.
- Janus, God of Portals and Transitions - Roman. Added on May 28, 2014.
- King Arthur, Wielder of Excalibur - Arthurian. Added on January 7, 2019.
- Mulan, The Ascendant Warrior - Chinese. Added on February 25, 2010.
- Nike, Goddess of Victory - Greek. Added on December 6, 2016.
- Odin, The Allfather - Norse.
- Osiris, Broken God of the Afterlife - Egyptian. Added on May 6, 2014.
- Sun Wukong, The Monkey King - Chinese.
- Tyr, The Lawgiver - Norse. Carries a giant sword. Has a stance change skill that alters the way his other 2 skills behave slightly as well as give a attack or defense buff depending on which stance he is in. His ultimate is a jump that does AoE damage and slows affected targets.
- Vamana, Fifth Avatar of Vishnu - Hindu.
Melee-focused gankers and junglers.
- Arachne, The Weaver - Greek. Arachne has a surprisingly versatile skill set, able to support her allies by laying eggs to spawn annoying hatchlings, throwing webs to slow enemies down, and dragging stragglers in with her ultimate.
- Awilix, Goddess of the Moon - Mayan. Added on December 17, 2014.
- Bakasura, The Great Devourer - Hindu. Bakasura pretty much belongs in the jungle due to his devour minion ability, which heals him and buffs a few of his stats- and allows him to go through the jungle faster than many other gods. Part of the effect of his ultimate is directly tied to how many minions he eats- as they are re-spawned as bile-formed apparitions of themselves that assist Bakasura in combat for their brief lifespan.(It only spawns a set number of minions though, its not limitless)
- Bastet, Goddess of Cats - Egyptian. Bastet is all about hit and run attacks. Her pounce ability allows her to strike at one area, and then quickly return to her original position. This allows for all sorts of mind-games and movement shenanigans.
- Camazotz, Deadly God of Bats - Mayan. Added on October 11, 2016.
- Da Ji, The Nine-Tailed Fox - Chinese. Added on May 24, 2017.
- Fenrir, The Unbound - Norse. Fenrir is a persistent beast- his abilities are all about buffing his strikes and keeping him right on an enemy regardless of how they attempt to maneuver. If he's not confident in acting alone, but really doesn't want an enemy to escape, his Ragnarok ultimate allows him to take one god right into his jaws and carry them back to the mercy of his own team...
- Hun Batz, The Howler Monkey God - Mayan. Uses a staff to attack his enemies. Can throw a monkey to hit 3 targets and teleport to the next target the monkey will hit by pressing the key again. Ultimate summons a totem, which all enemy gods are forced to move away from as well as take damage while in range of it.
- Kali, Goddess of Destruction - Hindu.
- Loki, The Trickster God - Norse.
- Mercury, Messenger of the Gods - Roman. Uses his speed to his advantage in various ways. One of his skills let him throw his target in a desired direction after rooting them briefly. His Ultimate involves a targeter that grows longer while he has the skill's targeter queued up.
- Ne Zha, The Third Lotus Prince - Chinese.
- Nemesis, Goddess of Vengeance - Greek. Unlocked from the start.
- Pele, Goddess of Volcanoes - Polynesian. Added on August 6, 2018.
- Ratatoskr, The Sly Messenger - Norse. Added on June 2, 2015.
- Ravana, Demon King of Lanka - Hindu. Added on June 30, 2015.
- Serqet, Goddess of Venom - Egyptian. Added on July 15, 2014.
- Set, The Usurper - Egyptian. Added on April 30, 2019.
- Susano, God of the Summer Storm - Japanese. Added on May 10, 2016.
- Thanatos, Hand of Death - Greek. All of Thanatos' skills use little mana, but drain health from himself upon use. The game will prevent you from using a skill if the use of it will actually kill you, but you still can get to a very low hp threshold by just skills. For his Ultimate Thanatos flies into the air for up to 5 seconds and can slam down on a target. If the target is below a certain HP threshhold the target will die immediately. The required percentage scales with each point in the Ultimate, starting at 24% and getting as high as 40%. A mark will appear on enemy gods any time that are within the instant kill threshold. The same mark will appear to players of said vulnerable gods while Thanatos is in the air. If the ultimate hits someone who is not low enough for the instant kill, the affected target just takes damage and is stunned briefly.
- Thor, God of Thunder - Norse. Unlocked from the start.